The other night I received a message from a friend of mine, saying “Morgan, I need your help!” She had become intolerant to a huge range of foods, and asked me to share some of my recipes with her. One of the main foods she’d become allergic to was bananas (oh the horror!). Now bananas are an ingredient that cannot easily be replaced, and when she asked me whether there was a substitute for the bananas in my banana and raspberry muffin recipe, I was puzzled. I simply could not think of an alternative.
I looked around my house and noticed we had an abundance of organic apples, filling up our fruit bowl. I used to love the combination of apple and cinnamon, but not so much the processed flour, sugar and dairy products that accompany it. So I cleaned up some apple and cinnamon muffins. And they’re 100% banana free (as well as refined sugar, dairy, gluten and wheat free)!
- 200g buckwheat flour
- 150g coconut sugar
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 100-120ml soy milk (you can use almond or any other plant based milk if desired)
- 80ml coconut oil, melted
- Gluten free egg replacer, equivalent to 1 egg
- 2 large apples
- 5 drops vanilla essence
- Cinnamon/mixed spice (to taste)
- Extra coconut sugar and cinnamon/mixed spice
- Preheat your oven to 200c and place patty pans into a muffin tray.
- Prepare apples by peeling and cutting them into small cubes. Leave aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon/mixed spice and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the coconut oil, egg replacer (make sure to prepare it per instructions on the box), vanilla and milk.
- Stir in the apples. If the mixture is too thick or dry, add more soy milk. (You want it to be a cake batter consistency, so add as much plant based milk you think it requires)
- Place a generous tablespoon of mixture into each patty pan and sprinkle additional coconut sugar and cinnamon/mixed spice on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until you can put a skewer through the muffin and no mixture comes out.
These are the perfect breakfast muffin if you’re on the go. They’ll provide you with long lasting energy and keep you full throughout the morning!