After my first failed attempt at this recipe (where my blender literally exploded), my cravings for creamy pasta returned and I made the brave decision to tackle this recipe once more. And boy was it worth it. Not only did it taste absolutely incredible, but my kitchen counter did not end up covered in green sauce like last time. So I think it’s a win-win situation.
This pasta sauce is not only ridiculously rich and creamy, it’s also packed with nutrients, good fats and loads of B vitamins, courtesy of the nutritional yeast. (If you’ve never had nutritional yeast, I suggest you try it. Think a kind of nutty, parmesan cheese flavour)
- Pasta of choice (I love using penne and also spaghetti)
- 1 whole avocado
- 1 1/2 heads chopped broccoli florets
- Dash of olive oil
- Roughly 2 garlic cloves OR 1 big tbsp minced garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast
- Generous handful of pine nuts
- A dash of either vegetable stock or water
- Chilli flakes, salt and pepper
- Prepare and cook pasta as per instructions
- Steam broccoli in a microwave for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Wash broccoli in cold water and set aside.
- Place all ingredients into a blender (including the broccoli, drained) and blend until smooth. Add more liquid as necessary.
- Drain pasta. Then in a medium saucepan, over a low heat, stir the broccoli sauce through the pasta until hot.
- Serve with extra pine nuts, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
Note: This pasta is great served on its own (ultimate lazy girl food), but I also love to stir through some additional broccoli as well as spinach, mushrooms and any other vegetables you may have on hand.