IKEA is good for lots of things. Candles, fake plants, unrealistic bedroom layouts (that I go home dreaming about) and super cool furniture. But did you know IKEA does some really great vegan food? Including vegan meatballs! Who would have thought! And they’re the bomb. Perfect for the laziest of dinners, and who doesn’t love an excuse to go to IKEA?
- 1 bag IKEA vegetarian meatballs
- Enough pasta for 2-3 people
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- A few large handfuls baby spinach
- 250g (or as many as you like of) white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- Italian herbs/seasoning, salt and pepper
- Pasta sauce of choice
- In a hot oven, lightly cook the vegetarian meatballs for 10 – 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Begin to cook pasta as per instructions (spaghetti works best for this recipe, but you could always use fettuccini or penne if desired).
- Once the veggie meatballs are golden, set aside and begin to prepare the pasta.
- In a large pan, over a medium heat, begin by frying off the mushrooms and onion in a little bit of oil (you could alternatively use Nuttelex and some crushed garlic which is absolutely delish!), and cook until soft.
- Add the diced tomatoes, pasta sauce, Italian herbs, salt and pepper and simmer for a few minutes.
- Stir through the vegetarian meatballs, spinach and then the pasta.
Sprinkle with pine nuts, nutritional yeast, fresh basil and season to taste.
I love serving this with some homemade garlic bread too! Simply combine Nuttelex and minced garlic in a bowl, then spread onto bread of choice and grill in the oven for a few minutes, or until golden. Yum!