This breakfast bowl came about when I was extremely hungry but had very little ingredients in my fridge. This has become a regular occurrence as of late because:
1. I’m a uni student living on a budget, and
2. Sometimes I just don’t feel like doing grocery shopping… (Do my ‘I live on my own’ pals feel me?)
So that is the history of this breakfast bowl. I could also call this the ‘Vegan Protein Bowl’ as it is made up entirely of protein rich ingredients. With over 10g protein per 100g, tofu is a great energy source for us vegans (and it’s also loaded with healthy fats). Then you’ve got chickpeas, which have approximately 3g protein per tbsp.
I enjoyed this breakfast after a huge morning run and oh boy was it satisfying.
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and patted dry with paper towel
- Coconut oil
- Nutritional yeast
- A splash of almond milk
- Smoked paprika, turmeric, salt, pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 sachet burrito/ Mexican seasoning
- Frozen spinach
- In a saucepan, melt roughly 1tbsp coconut oil.
- Crumble the tofu (between your hands) into the saucepan.
- Begin to fry it off and then gradually add in the almond milk, herbs, spices, 1 cube of frozen spinach and nutritional yeast. Also add in 1/4 (ish) of the burrito seasoning sachet.
- Once the spinach is cooked through and the tofu is crispy, either place in a bowl or remove from heat.
- In the same saucepan (once emptied… Or just use another, but I was avoiding washing up…) add a little more coconut oil and heat the chickpeas with some smoked paprika, salt and pepper and another 1/4 of the burrito seasoning sachet.
- Plate up as much as desired and enjoy!
This recipe makes two generous portions, and can last in the fridge for a few days. (Though I doubt it’ll last that long.)