Just a super simple pumpkin pasta dish that I love as an alternative to tomato based pasta sauces.
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup toasted pinenuts and cashews
- A dash of olive oil
- A dash of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- Italian herbs (fresh or dried) – Basil, Rosemary, oregano etc.
- Pasta of choice (I usually use spaghetti for this)
- Rocket and cherry tomatoes to serve.
- Preheat oven to its highest setting and dice the pumpkin into cubes.
- Coat with a little olive oil, some salt, pepper and a sprinkle of Italian herbs.
- Place onto a baking tray and roast in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is completely soft. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook as much pasta as desired, per the packet instructions.
- Using a blender or stick mix, blend the pumpkin, nutritional yeast, vegetable stock, olive oil, lemon juice, cashews, pinenuts, Italian herbs, smoked paprika and chilli flakes. Blend to desired consistency.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and return to pot, stirring in the pasta sauce.
- Serve with fresh rocket, chopped cherry tomatoes and pinenuts.
This pairs perfectly with a vegan, organic red wine and my homemade garlic bread (recipe HERE).