When Mr. E and I came down with a bad case of gastro, we began craving greens like never before. And then we began thinking of creative ways to pack our bodies full of nutrients without necessarily eating too much (you know what gastro is like… Hungry isn’t exactly a word that comes to mind). I’ll admit I hadn’t tried (or even thought of) making broccoli soup before Mr. E suggested it, but I surprised even myself with this recipe.
Simple, insanely delicious and one for the books I think.
- 2 large heads of broccoli, stalks and all (alternatively can use a bag of frozen broccoli)
- 1 large brown onion
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Vegetable stock – enough to cover the vegetables
- 1tbsp minced garlic
- Herbs – 2 bay leaves, chilli flakes, nutritional yeast, mixed Italian herbs, salt, pepper etc.
- Prepare the broccoli, carrots and onion by chopping into small pieces. Place the broccoli and carrots aside.
- In a large pot, fry off the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic.
- Once translucent, add the vegetables, then the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Add in the herbs, spices, salt and pepper also.
- With the lid on, allow the soup to simmer for 30 – 40 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Once everything is soft, blend the soup either in a blender or in the pot with a hand held blender. (Make sure to take the bay leaves out before blending!)
Serve garnished with salt, pepper and parsley. My garlic bread recipe would also pair perfectly with this soup! Makes three – four large portions.