This gravy has become a dinner staple for me as of late. It’s perfect served over roast vegetables and a vegan schnitzel or sausages. It also makes a fantastic stroganoff-style pasta sauce!
- 250g white button mushrooms
- 1tbsp vegan butter
- 1tbsp minced garlic
- 1.5 cups vegan beef stock
- 1tbsp tahini
- 1tsp cornstarch
- 5tbsp nutritional yeast
- A good pinch of salt and pepper
- 1tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1tsp dried Italian herbs
- Slice mushrooms finely and place aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, melt the butter and then fry off garlic until fragrant.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and fry for roughly 5 minutes
- While the mushrooms are cooking, combine the cornstarch with 1 – 2tbsp water and stir until well combined. (If you put the cornstarch straight into the pot, it’ll clump up and not taste very nice at all!)
- Add all remaining ingredients (including the cornstarch) into the pot, stir and then bring to a boil.
- Simmer for another 10 – 15 minutes uncovered, or until the gravy has thickened.
You may also like to add sliced white onion when frying off the mushrooms to make it a mushroom onion gravy. Mr E. likes that one!