Peppermint, chocolate, coffee. Is there anything better? I don’t think so. This peppermint mocha slice is like taking a little bite of heaven.
This recipe is in collaboration with Crio Brü, a coffee alternative made from 100% roasted cacao beans. Crio Brü coffee substitute contains a natural stimulant called theobromine which is gentle, long-lasting and non-addictive. Although the cocoa beans are roasted to make Crio Brü, many of the health benefits found in the raw cocoa beans are preserved, giving you a superior product with sky-high antioxidants, abundant minerals and healthy energy.
I love to make an evening superfood tonic using Crio Brü, raw cacao powder, cinnamon, maca powder, Reishi mushrooms and ATP science’s Gutright. With a splash of good quality soy milk it’s the perfect evening elixir. I also began baking with Crio Brü, just like I would with coffee and TADAH! This peppermint mocha slice was created. They’re not as fudgey and dense as a brownie, but they’re also not as light and fluffy as a chocolate cake, hence why I call them a slice (or so that you can decide which name you see fit). They’re somewhere in-between, so I’m basically giving you the best of both worlds… Cake, brownie… Who can choose?
Click HERE to find out more about Crio Brü. Enjoy!
Gluten free, refined sugar free and vegan. Makes 12.
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 blocks Loving Earth chocolate. I used 85% dark and the ‘Creamy Mylk’ chocolate.
- 3tbsp raw cacao
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup coconut sugar, depending on your taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 6 drops peppermint essential oil*
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp flaxseed
- 1tbsp Crio Brü mint flavoured cacao (Click HERE to purchase)
- 5tbsp organic, unrefined coconut oil
- 1 cup brewed Crio Brü mint flavoured cacao
- 1/2 cup soy milk
NOTE: Please only use Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oils which can safely be ingested. Doterra is my oil brand of choice and the only oil I trust to ingest, apply topically and use in my everyday life. If you can’t get your hands on high quality oils like these, use a baking peppermint extract instead.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a brownie tin with baking paper, or spray with oil. (Or alternatively, use a non-stick brownie tray like I did)
- Start by melting 3/4 of the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. (The remaining 1/4 will be chopped up and mixed into the batter, approximately 10-16 squares)
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the dry ingredients – buckwheat flour, cacao, coconut sugar, salt, baking powder, flaxseed and Crio Brü powder. Stir to combine.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add that along with the remaining wet ingredients (vanilla, peppermint, coconut oil, Crio Brü and soy milk) and gently stir until a brownie batter forms.
- Chop the remaining chocolate finely and then stir into the batter.
- Pour into brownie tin, smooth out and bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until a skewer can be stuck in and comes out clean.
Once cooled, cut into 12 even slices, dust with raw cacao powder and either serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge. Obviously these would pair perfectly with a hot cup of Crio Brü!
Thank you again to Crio Brü for sending me these products. Although I was gifted these delicious products, all opinions are still my own (and I wouldn’t be sharing this recipe with you if I didn’t truly love the product!). If you do end up trying Crio Brü I’d love to know what you think!