When I found out that hummus would no longer be a part of my diet, I maybe had a little cry… Hummus is so good on everything, and for every occasion. It’s a vegan staple. And not having it in my life anymore seemed like torture.
I needed to come up with an alternative to ease the pain of watching my boyfriend munch away on hummus and crackers multiple times a week. I searched supermarkets far and wide in the hope that at least one company had created a vegan, onion and garlic free dip of some sort. But alas, no such luck. So I put my chefs hat on and turned to trusty old Google for some ‘Low FODMAP dip’ inspiration and came across numerous baba ganoush recipes. Seeing as eggplant is a FODMAP friendly vegetable already, with a few minor adjustments I managed to create a deliciously tummy-friendly dip that everyone can enjoy! (No one will know that there’s no onion or garlic in this bad boy.)
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini
- 5-10 pitted kalamata olives
- 2tbsp garlic infused olive oil (garlic infused olive oil is low FODMAP because there is no actual garlic in the oil)
- 3-4 fresh chillies (you can alter the spice if you’d like more or less)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Mixed herbs
- 1tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice eggplant in half and roast on a BBQ or in the oven for approximately 30 – 45 minutes or until the centre of the eggplant is soft. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, scrape out the flesh of the eggplant into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
Store in an airtight glass jar in the fridge for up to a month.
This is perfect served on top of rice cakes with crunchy lettuce, as a sandwich spread or on a platter with crackers, fresh vegetables and kalamata olives.